Sunday, September 19, 2010

Venturing forth

Several years ago I decided I had to do something. I couldn't find a science fiction in the book stores that interested me -- other than the works of Alastair Reynolds -- so I told myself I would have to write them myself. I was looking for something exciting, adventurous, believable, unpredictable, respective or religion; character driven stuff not afraid to get dark or sexy if that's where the story goes. That what I write. I spent most of the 1990s reading Analog Science Fiction and Fact, and Heavy Metal, so imagine something from those two extremes.

I got several stories in progress at various stages. Some are finished, but I haven't submitted them to a publisher because I'm sure they're quite done yet. Except one, "For Her, Anything," which I've electronically submitted to Asimov's Science Fiction. It's more character driven, than Analog's technical driven stories, and I hope they find it worthy of their fine magazine. I'd read them, and I've preferred it over Analog. So, I await their Rejection Notice months from now as I venture forth into the painful process of convincing editors and publishers I'm worth their while. A man can dream of movie deals too, can't he?

But I don't just do science fiction. I write contemporary fiction as well, exploring the lives of the less fortunate souls that walk the earth: the freaks, the outcasts, the criminals, the seeder darker parts of life, where living is hard, and most choices are bad.

If you can't find anything good to read, then stick around. I might have something for ya.

1 comment:

Frank V Bonura said...

It is my greatest hope you are not only successful but have prepared for it. I should share a sermon on the "Lock-nut of Doom" with you. Nothing is impossible when Man and God are in union in any endeavor.